Papp's mute and split mute answers to Marshall

A440 Piano Service a440@bresnan.net
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:28:06 -0700

Marshall,  you wrote:  =20
Hi John,
If you put the papas mute between the hammer shank, how do you move it =
on up the piano as you're going from note t o note ?  The hammer shanks =
get in the way .
Marshall

The instructions I wrote say in step a:=20

a. To tune the left string of the 3-string unison, insert from under the =
hammers, between the shanks, about 4 or 5 notes to the right of your =
target. (this allows you to keep it right there for the next 3 or 4 =
notes). Rest the mute there on the hammer rail.

The key there is to go 4 or 5 notes to the right when you initially =
insert the mute between shanks.  You DON'T remove it from between the =
hammer shanks when you change notes.  You leave it there and slip it out =
from one place and into the next until you need more room again.  You =
can usually do 3 or 4 notes (9 to 12 strings) this way.  The mute is at =
a progressively less acute angle as you move up the keyboard until you =
re-position.

You also asked about the split rubber mute.  Mine has a spring steel =
handle something like a soundboard steel.   It's #204 in the Schaff =
catalog, page 33 in my catalog.  (Describes it as having "Blue =
steelhandle" sic)

The Papp's mute is Schaff #207, same page.

You also asked me about difficulties inserting the split rubber mute.  I =
said I had none.  Yesterday I noticed that it IS a bit floppy, but it =
never bothers or annoys or frustrates me, yet I could imagine that it =
might bother a sight-challenged person.  Then I remembered a tip I heard =
about that:  PAINT one of the parts of it (either one) white so you see =
the contrast easier.  I've just gotten used to how long the split =
extends past one side and I can place it rather easily, even with my =
suspect eyesight.  (Yes, I'm sure it's nowhere near as bad as yours)

Anyway, both of these mutes are very fast in use and I'm sure they can =
help you increase your speed if you learn how to manage them.

Hope this helps.

John Dorr
Helena, MT