Dear Mr. Nossaman.....( Was, "Why wide, flat ribs.....? )

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:04:29 +0100

An excellent commentary David.  Here Here !!

Cheers
RicB

David Love writes:

It's unfortunate that this conversation often turns into an us against them
discussion.  I think it's important to understand how this all came about
and why.  Everyone wants to build a soundboard that produces good, reliable
tone and in a predictable way.  If you are a large company that builds, say,
3000 pianos a year, don't want to change the way you've done things for 150
years, and can afford to have so many less than stellar outcomes because of
clever "personality" marketing, or an otherwise solid reputation, you may
not have to worry about it.  But if you are a small rebuilder doing 10 - 20
pianos a year, you don't have that luxury.  Each piano means a lot more and
less than stellar outcomes or even unpredictable results don't help your
cause.  I don't guess that for these smaller rebuilders originally doing CC
boards that all of them came out poorly, I know that some of them did come
out well, and some not so well.  I gather, from my discussions, that it was
the high percentage of poor outcomes that drove them to look for a more
reliable method.  They are sharing what they've found and the research is
ongoing.  Everyone has the choice of building a board however they like.
Rather than speculate about this or that, the best thing to do is either
build one, or have someone build one or several for you and then decide.
Most of the discussion back and forth comes from people who haven't heard an
RC&S board.  It makes the speculations about what works and what doesn't
fairly meaningless.

David Love