Papp's Mute, part Deux, and MORE!!

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:41:18 -0500

Hi John,
When you use the rubber split mute, do you ever have trouble getting it =
lined up in order to insert it?  The rubber ends seem flimsy and at =
times hard to get enough pressure in order to insert.=20
 Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: A440 Piano Service=20
  To: PTG List=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:27 AM
  Subject: Papp's Mute, part Deux, and MORE!!

  Esteemed list,

  Thanks for your responses, to the list and privately, to my post re: =
the Papps mute.  It occurred to me that I misspoke when I said I could =
tune two notes at a time with this technique, so I wanted to correct =
that.  Only step E allows for that.  Step B and C allow only one string =
to be tuned.  I guess it just flies by so quickly that it almost seems =
like I'm always tuning two strings!  Sorry 'bout that.=20

  Another thing that I failed to mention that increases speed with this =
method is to learn to move the mute with your left hand (if you're a =
right-handed tuner, I guess) WHILE you move the hammer with your right =
hand.  Blazin'!!

  On another note, I was asked about the split rubber mute, so I thought =
I'd tell how I use it to tune 3 strings at a time.  Again, this is using =
the "unisons as you go" method, so I usually just use it for pitch =
changes.  (I'm not good enough yet to do the Virgil Smith method on the =
fine tuning... someday!)  I use this as soon as I start tuning 3-string =
unisons, and continue it as long as I can.  Unlike the Papp's mute, this =
method can ALSO be used on grands, and can go all the way up the =
keyboard.

  This method was shown to me by Peter Briant, RPT.

  Let's start with the lowest 3-string unison:
  1.  Place the mute around all three strings, leaving just the center =
string open.  Being right-handed I usually have the handle lying to the =
right, especially on the lower strings.  When the fit gets tight in the =
case or around the struts, I'll lay the handle to the left.  And on the =
occasional hard to mute trio near a strut on a grand, you'll have to =
stand the mute a bit more straight upward to effectively mute the =
(usually) right string.
  2.  Tune the center string.  (Let's arbitrarily call this F)
  3.  Move the move to the next string (F#) and leave ITS center string =
open.
  4.  Tune the first (F) string's left string to center.
  5.  Tune the next center string.  (F#)
  6.  Move the mute to G .  (Notice, we're ALWAYS surrounding the center =
string of a 3-string unison with the mute.)
  7.  Tune F# left to F# center.
  8.  Tune F right to F left and F center.
  9.  Tune G center.
  At this point, you move the mute again (to G#) and continue that =
3-string pattern - now G left, F# right, G# center.

  I suppose for extra speed one could learn to change this mute with the =
right hand while the left hand moved the hammer, too, but I haven't =
tried that... it's pretty fast as is!

  Hope this helps.  Thank Peter Briant if it does.

  John Dorr
  Helena, MT