Dear Mr. Nossaman.....( Was, "Why wide, flat ribs.....? )

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:44:36 EST

Wow
    I went to convention & this thread is  still active after a week.
Always a good sign IMO.    Gordon I've been following some of this & I  think I
understand where  your'e coming from.
  Do I hear someone saying "oh crap here he goes  again"......  Oh well
    Gordon, to reiterate what some have  said....... many forms of boards
work, but repeatable, duplicate  results is the name of the game, as far as is
possible in the realm of the  materials we work with. We weren't around to see a
numbers of units come  off a production line & judge these under our tonal
microscopes.  How  unfortunate. Never the less, I, as well as others are amazed
by  the intersting sdbd designs seen in the field but I probably wouldn't
build one  that way today well ....unless you want to be my patron.
   I've built dozens of boards in different  iterations & thru that have
discovered a sound I love which seems to be  repeatable.  No, I'll admit, early on
not all my boards have met my  expectations but as I have applied ideas
gleaned from others, taken risks etc.  the results  have improved repeatably  &
dramtically.
     This type of empirical  experience  has NO substitute & the only way I
or anyone can prove  results is to put yourself in front of instruments that
come from  here & elsewhere, put your fingers & ears on it & do your  own  test
& then decide  for yourself if modern RC  designs provide a musically
excellent outcome.
    Many folks this past weekend in Los  Angeles had that opportunity to do
just that. June 21st You  can do the  same in Rochester.  This has rarely
happened & I've  been waiting along time for it to happen again.  Sign up....go

    I'll speak for all others guys taking  restored instruments to
Rochester.......
    It's a lot of work to get a piano  prepped,shined & primed for such an
event &  if all one has to do  is get there I think it will be a very
fascinating convention for those in  attendance

   My humble designs, which I call VRS  "Variable Radius Soundboard" Has
produced very consistent  results. It's not even my idea ..so what, it works.

 Be that as it may I rebuilt a Ivers & Pond 6ft grand  that was from the
20's. It had big wide flatish ribs & a .400 thick  panel.  Wow ..
    Strung up it showed no signs of residual  crown as tested with a string
across the boards bottom.  Un strung the  crown jumped up at least 10 mm.  The
sustain was incredible in this piano.  Analyzing the string scale showed a
scale  very near the breaking strength  in the middle portions of plain wire but
wow did it sound good. The tighter a  wire the better it seems to sound.  Many
things , as usual ,contribute to  the sound being achieved & this was no
exception.
  However my Sister had /has a large ornate  rebuilt Ivers & Pond upright
turn o century style also with  the  wide flat ribs design.  The bass is
astounding the mid tenor really good  but from approx. note 55 on up it suffers big
time  from low  impedance creating a weak treble   So.....    she bought a AA
Mason
  That said ,Would I build this Ivers grand design?  No.... did it work. Yes
,but how bout the countless others that came out with it  & the ones you
mentioned we'll never know.
  Postulate away
   Dale Erwin

Dear Mr.  Nossaman,
I am simply trying to ascertain why these  4
boards, which should be "crap" by the general
"consensus" on this list  are, instead, the best
preserved ( tonally ) of any I've heard on pianos  this
old. ( And I've heard hundreds. )
My 3 previous  inquiries reaped deafening silence.
It was only after I cited a revered  authority that
someone ( you ) deemed it necessary to reveal that,  in
fact, wide, shallow ribs CAN have rib-crowning. Until
then this  feature was unanimously declared here as
indicative of "Strictly CC"   boards.
( Thank you very much. )
NOW, I am  postulating that grain orientation was
an integral, intentional feature of  this design. I am
incredulous regarding your assertion that  a
quarter-sawn piece of wood will have the same
characteristics of  elasticity and resistance to
compression set, whether the rings run  parallel to the
board ( "Pancaked" ) or perpendicular ( "Vertical" ).
If the rings are parallel, their naturally
compact  cellular structure will be largely in a state
of tension due to soundboard  crown, which I see as
conducive to elasticity in the rib, and resistance  to
"compression set". ( Downbearing and vibration will
get them closer  to their pre-crowned state of density,
but not beyond it. )
If, on the other hand, the rings are vertical,
particularly  if rib-crowning is cut into them, many
more cells will be in   compression, which may lead to
excessive stiffness and and earlier  breakdown of the
system. ( Caused by compression set within the  rib
itself ).
What I am getting at is this: There is no  question
in my mind that whoever built these boards  knew what
they  were doing. All are from top manufacturers, and
all have stood up over  time, in a horrid climate,
producing superlative tone. I am merely  suggesting
that they intentionally aimed for "the best of all
possible  worlds": wide, flat ribs of quartersawn
spruce with the annular rings  parallel to the board
surface, for elasticity and longevity.... with  some
rib-crowning, as well.
There is nothing wrong  with postulating here.
Sure, I'll take a good, close look at these  things
when I have the time. But part of the List's utility
is that it  provides an opportunity for those who have
already done the looking to  speak up, and there,
unfortunately, are certain persons here who  have
established a hegemony of opinion which intimidates,
and thereby  precludes others from venturing forth, for
fear of having their "Heads bit  off", as you did to me
in your last.
All mysteries  that have faced mankind,
individually and collectively, have first  been
assigned  theoretical answers which empirical
investigations  confirm or debunk.
I have presented an anomaly to the  "List"
"consensus":  Four, shallow, wide ribbed pianos which
all  sound like thunder after 100 years in a truly
lousy climate. I am merely  seeking an explanation, and
appreciate what positive information you  have
presented. I must confess, though, that I perceive
some irritation  based more on the fact that I have
thrown a "monkey wrench" into the  "accepted theory",
rather than that I have merely not "learned  enough"
from what has been discussed before.

Peace,
Gordon

.--- Ron Nossaman  <rnossaman@cox.net> wrote:

> > I'd love to, if I  ever get the time.
>
> If you have an hour to dedicate to your  education,
> you've got
> the time. If not, you'll never know  anyway.
>

> >I'm guessin' that
> > the  intent of this rib design is to maximize
> support,
> > while  retaining excellent elasticity, and that the
> > grain orientation  has a  lot to do with it.
>
> Yes, that would indeed be  guessing. The grain
> orientation has
> virtually nothing to do  with it, which you could
> find out for
> yourself with minimal  effort and sincere desire to
> know.
>

>   > P.S. If anyone out there wants to test this
>  hypothesis
> > before I can, please feel free, and please  report
> > back.
>
> It's been done, and reported to the  list, as has
> most of what
> is eternally re-hashed here in  perpetual mystery.
> Asking
> questions and speculating randomly  is always easier
> than
> working something out for oneself and  reaching one's
> own
> conclusions based on the logical reality  of what one
> finds,
> and one gets the luxury of picking and  choosing what
> one
> wishes to believe as a matter of  convenience rather
> than
> considering what the cumulative  evidence indicates.
> Life is
> easier, it seems, with the proper  filters.
> Ron N
> Pianotech list  info:

Dale Erwins  Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, CA  95357
209-577-8397
Specializing in the restoration , service & Sales  of
Steinway , Mason & hamlin & other fine  pianos.
Erwinspiano@aol.com