Poll : temperaments - choosing ? ( "stretched ? not stretched ?" part answered )

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:36:57 -0600

Phillippe,
I have compromised tuning on two very different pianos that were
going to be played together in order to get them a little closer.  I
did it on request with a caveat regarding the results.  The tuning
did not sound good.  I'm not inclined to do it again.  Eventually
pianos do get appraised alone, and if your work doesn't sound good,
you know who gets blamed...

Typically when piano duos form they select to pianos of the same
make, model and string scale.  Pianos close together in age of the
same model usually have the same string scale.  One piano is tuned
ideally and the other is tuned to it with an ETD or more cumbersomely by ear.

I've had a customer ask me to tune their piano to their organ.  For
interest's sake I played A4 on the organ and watched it on the
ETD.  There was a good 6 cent total oscillation, warble, three cents
above and below standard pitch.  I showed it to the customer and
suggested that there would be little problem with a standard tuning
under those loose tolerances.  A pipe organ would be different,
ambient temperature and air pressure being daily variants to consider.

As for a piano with an orchestra; the instrument I recall with the
least tolerance is the oboe.  That probably has more to do with
standard pitch than stretch, I think.  Most of the orchestral
instruments can adjust intonation as they play and do so to match the
piano they have to play with.  Not without the occasional inter
instrumental rivalry/resentment.  The bowed instruments are tuned
melodically while played and the violins are usually sharp above
C5.  They generally think of the piano as that annoyingly flat
instrument (even though its stretched sharp harmonically).  Most of
the other fixed intonation instruments are sufficiently distinguished
in tone to have the in-harmony accepted as characteristic.  I
recently attended a concert duo involving a marimba and a D I tune,
interesting.

There is a story in the archives of this list of a violinist trying
to get a tuner to tune her piano to harmonize with her melodic tuning
of her violin.  Pianos are necessarily tuned harmonically.  The
experiment was reportedly a failure.  There are structural as well as
harmonic issues when you start tuning a whole tone or more higher
than you should on a piano.

Perhaps the most utilized temperament after ET is Moore's
"Representative Victorian Well" temperament.  It is quite mild yet
very satisfying for those who can't quite accept ET's
dissonance.  Young, Valloti Young would probably come next.  I didn't
notice much more flavor than this on the last temperament discussion
we had.  Google the ptg archives and you will run into some rather
thorough discussions.  One technician mentioned to me that he had
tuned a piano to Modified Meantone for a historic era
performance.  Apparently the composer-in-residence so enjoyed the
bold flavor, he requested that the piano be maintained with Modified
Meantone saying that he was finally getting what he heard in his
head. :-)  I tuned a harpsichord for a performance of the Messiah to
Handel's well temperament and the bassist asked me if I was going to
confuse them with meantone. :-D

Sincerely,
Andrew Anderson