Upgrading.....JUST DO IT!

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 02:07:31 -0600

The =93upgrading=94 problem could be solved I think, if there were a =
third
category of members, that of Apprentice---   apropos of an organization
calling itself a guild. =20

=20

A  piano tuner technician, I have had 12 years full time self employed
experience after 6 years of apprenticeship and working for others in a =
major
metropolitan area.  I wasn=92t a Guild member because the people I =
studied
under were not.   They being over 60 in 1972, preceded the Guild.   But =
knew about the Guild and substituted tuning for 2 Guild members and they =
for
me on occasion.  But business was so good I had no time for meetings or =
the
convention even.  One member offered to let me read his Journals and I
didn=92t even take advantage of that.  (but I should have).

   After I moved to the country and became =93semi retired=94 and 8 =
years later
I found  www.ptg.org <http://www.ptg.org/>   on line and finally decided =
join which makes you Associate with the opportunity/option to upgrade to =
RPT

=20

But so far the category of =93associate=94 is fine for me as it includes =
subscription to the Journal, the membership rates for the conventions =
and
access to ptg  on line services.  From the conventions and internet I =
know
more than a few technicians and =93members of allied trades=94 who are =
chose to
remain =93associate=94 mainly because they specialize in tuning only or
rebuilding (and don=92t tune), design and/or manufacture pianos (but =
don=92t
tune) and one retired professor who as a  teenager spent a summer with a
piano tuner thinking he might pursue that career.   Good thing he got =
his
PhD in music and ended up in academia.  But good for us as he is a major
supporter and contributor to his local chapter.=20

=20

  For me local chapter involvement has always been out of the question.
Back in the 80=92s I was simply to busy and now it is nearly 300 miles =
round
trip to  meet with 3 or 4 techs that I could do by online conference if =
that
was available.=20

=20

Now if there were a category of =93apprentice=94 then the debate about =
upgrading
would be relegated there. Then the =93apprentice=94 would have the =
encouragement
and resources of both RPTs and Associates to upgrade to RPT.   =20

=20

I also believe RPT should be eligible for certificates they could add to
their resumes like aural tuning, machine tuning, =93Certified =
Rebuilder=94  a
certificate indicating playing level, or a level above RPT called =
Master.
The name Guild begs this IMHO.=20

=20

Richard Moody     Ass.     oops   associate=85=85=20

www.pnotec.com <http://www.pnotec.com/> =20

=20

"One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time."

Andr=E9 Gide (1859-1951); French writer.

=20

=20

=20

=20