Best Way to Tune A Piano Using Accutuner III?

Avery avery1@houston.rr.com
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:11:25 -0600

Robert,

My first question is why are you asking? Are you just learning to tune?

At 08:56 AM 2/11/2006, you wrote:
>For those of you who use an Accutuner III, which way would you
>recommend using it to achieve a fine tuning?  I have heard several
>different and conflicting opinions, and I am wondering what to make of it.
>
>A friend of mine told me he achieves a good tuning by using the SAT
>III to perform the FAC calculation, and then tuning chromatically up
>the piano from A0, note by note, also tuning the unisons as he goes,
>and aurally checking the octaves and other intervals.

That would probably work on a well-scaled piano with a
non-discriminating customer. Not in a concert situation.

>Someone else told me that this would be the method to use only for
>pitch raising and achieving stability, but not for fine tuning.

Agree. That's how Sanderson recommends doing a pitch raise.

>Another person told me that the temperament should be tuned first
>and then spread up the piano by octaves and then lower. Aural checks
>would be done to ensure that everything sounds correct and the beat
>rates of the intervals are what they should be.

If I'm trying to achieve my best possible tuning, that's the way I do
it! On some pianos, one needs to be able to override what the machine
tells you to do to get the best possible tuning. If you can't tune
aurally, you can't do that! Of course, I was an aural tuner for 25+
yrs. before I got my SAT! :-)

IMO, if you want to eventually be a great tuner, you first need to
learn to tune aurally. Greatly! Then use the SAT (or any other ETD
type) as a tool. IMO, that's all it should be, even though I usually
tune just about everything with the SAT now. BUT, I can always do it
the "other" way if I need/want to and I still check some things.
Especially the tenor area and the high treble!

Bite the bullet and learn to tune to tune aurally first! :-)

>Your opinion on this will be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

My opinion!

>Robert Finley

Avery Todd
University of Houston