Best Way to Tune A Piano Using Accutuner III?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:08:08 EST

Robert asks:
<< For those of you who use an Accutuner III, which way would you recommend
using it to achieve a fine tuning?  I have heard several different and
conflicting opinions, and I am wondering what to make of it.  >>

    The machine is just a tool.  How you use it depends on what the
conditions are and the results you need.   In some applications, its decisions will far
surpass the requirements.  In others, the SAT is just a guide to give you
information while you make decisions.  If there is no overall pitch changes to be
handled, I don't think it matters what sequence you tune the notes.  I have
gone top to bottom and seen no apprecialble difference from going up from A0 to
C88.
   In major pitch raises, I usually begin at the bass break with the pitch
raise function set from maybe four or five notes higher, (those last few notes
at the break can often be a lot farther off than the piano in general).  I let
the pitch raise function sample the A's (every octave) as I go straight to the
top, unisons as I go. Then I do a fast raise in the bass, then I tune it,
often in the same pattern, and often using the pitch raise function again to make
some last-pass partial-cent corrections for lingering flatness or sharpened
over exuberance.
    If a piano is near pitch and tuned often, like stage or studio pianos,
then it pays to refine the machine tuning by ear, and save the results.  YOu can
use then machine to give you repeated access to your previous tuning, on a
given piano, while you tweak your results by aural judgment until you have
refined a tuning for that model. Save this and you will have a fine pattern to use
for pitch raises, other temperaments, etc.
    If the piano is raised or lowered more than 10 cents, it is going to be
unstable for at least a week, often more.  No machine will overcome that.
    If the piano has a poor scale, the SAT will simply guide you down a
middle path, and you will have to prevent cumulative error from occuring by aural
skills. You will have to depart from the dial and make a compromise on a per
situation basis. This is a good reason to learn to tune before picking up a
machine,  I don't know of any other way to consistantly leave the most reasonably,
harmonious result than to listen to everything.  The machine will only give
you a perfect tuning if you have a perfect piano.
     Well scaled pianos, tuned often,  is where the machine really shines, it
rides along as you go up the scale cleaning up unisons.   It is power
steering that smooths over the bumps , such as stagehands working nearby, lights
being changed, malevolent HVAC stystems stalking your stability and serenity at
the same time.  It  gets neither flustered nor flu, no fatigue too great to
overcome with simple 120V AC.  Just don't forget that when it tells you something,
sometimes it is wrong and it is the conscientious tech's job to know when.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT