What's a fair price to charge for tuning a piano

Avery avery1@houston.rr.com
Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:23:38 -0600

At 01:15 PM 2/9/2006, you wrote:
>At 01:01 PM 2/9/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>>Conrad,
>>
>>Unfortunately, there's a store here in Houston that will only pay
>>$15.00 for a store tuning. And damn it, there are tuners here who
>>will do it for that! :-(
>>
>>Avery
>

>I got $12.50, but that was in '79. I could fill my gas tank for $5
>then. Those tooners all on foot?  Sleep under bridges? Shopping
>carts for tool kits?

Actually, no. But two of them that I know of are blind. IMO, I think
they're afraid to say no to that price for fear of losing the work.
One of them used to tune our "lease" pianos but the tuning wouldn't
last 'till he got out the door! Now I'm doing them for that price
because I got tired of having to redo them anyway. For free! At least
I don't have to go anywhere. He actually had a driver he had to pay!

Avery