What's a fair price to charge for tuning a piano

Mark Schecter schecter@pacbell.net
Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:25:13 -0800

I want to put in my 2 cents worth here. Where I live, in Oakland, CA, I
went to have my VW serviced at the dealer. Their shop rate is _$135_ per
hour. I take that as an indication of what skilled technical service is
worth. Is anyone's life at stake in piano work? Not usually, perhaps,
but for professionals, at least, our work is vital to their livelihood.
How long does it take to become an automotive technician? I'm guessing
2-4 years. (Forgive me if I'm wrong). Does the automotive technician
come to my house to service my car? Ha! Is he/she available at odd
hours/off days/short notice? Not bloody likely. Does he/she have an
overarching aesthetic sense of how the nuances of my car's adjustments
will affect my driving experience? Uh, not really.

Tuning a piano for $60? Let's see, 1/2 hour to drive there, 1.5 hours
there, 1/2 hour to drive somewhere else, that's 2.5 hours per piano, and
out of that fee I'm supposed to pay taxes including self-employment, gas
and upkeep and insurance on the car, pay for health care, put aside
something for retirement, pay my mortgage and insurance, eat, take a
vacation, be sick a few days, and put my kids through college? Yeah, you
do the math.

Not where I live anyway.

When I can charge as much as my auto mechanic charges me, I'll have it made.

-Mark Schecter