Measuring BR depth.

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:48:20 -0600

Hi Alan,
               I ground down a hammer shank so I could block off the
top of the  BR hole inside the mortice.   Then measured with a
machinist depth gauge, from the bottom of the shank, to the bass of the key.
Researching the spongy touch problem, I must have measured several
hundred different keys, on many different makes and models of
pianos.   Old and new.
The problem was far more endemic than I ever imagined.   The only
manufacturer that had, what I would consider accurate consistency,
was Yamaha.   Well,  the way machine every thing, should I be surprised? =-O
Jon gave a good suggestion. Place the key on a solid wood surface and
then ream away.  Sounds dummy proof to me.
The actual reaming of a complete set only takes us about 20mins.

regards Roger