soundboard buttons

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 21:23:40 -0600

Joseph,

Order the buttons.

John Formsma

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Joseph Alkana
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:46 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Fw: soundboard buttons

Joseph Alkana RPT

----- Original Message -----

From: Joseph <mailto:josephspiano@comcast.net>  Alkana

To: Pianotech <mailto:pianotech@ptg.org>

Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 7:56 PM

Subject: soundboard buttons

A new subject I need some advise on, please!

Tuned a nine foot Estonia today, it had some noticeable buzzing going on. I
won't pose this as a puzzler as I need some advice on the subject asap. The
cause of the buzzing was broken soundboard buttons. They were made of some
kind of nylon or plastic and all of them had broken in half thru the screw
hole. I took quite a handful of debris from all the locations and tossed it.
Now there are screws standing proud of the board by a good half-inch.

The question: Should I order some buttons and replace, or remove all the
screws as a cosmetic solution. I can detect no change in the tonal quality
of the instrument at this point and I don't have any way to tell if the
bridge/board is compromised in any way. The instrument is about twelve years
old and has had hammers shaped and a fine regulation done of recent times.
Except for a poor feel in the action, which would benefit mightily with a
Stanwood application and a lightening of the hammers, I don't find the piano
in too bad of shape. Yes, the buzzing is gone. And, yes the Estonia is going
to be replace with a Steinway soon.

Suggestions please?

Joseph Alkana RPT