440 vs 442

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:11:36 -0600

At 22:09 2/7/2006, you wrote:

>RON MAY, RPT wrote:
>
>>OK so you and I think 442 is crazy. Get ready---I have the Jersulem
>>Symphony coming to town in a couple of weeks.  They have requested ---ARE
>>YOU READY FOR THIS--A=441--YEH! THAT IS A ONE.  So Joe, and you think
>>your guy is good.
>
>Not as uncommon as you may think - that request has been seen in my neck
>of the woods, and this is hardly Concert-Central.
>
>444 is where I draw the line - the answer is simply no...but then, I do
>have a Concert Instrument ready at 442..but I won't go to 444 with it.
>Neither will the hall where it resides, so I have some back-up there.
>
>Ron, supposedly, Seiji Ozawa can tell the difference between 440 and 442.
>
>Again, not as uncommon as you may think.
>
>-Phil Bondi(Fl)

...and it ain't nothin' new.

Back in '79 or '80, I was working for a Phila area dealer and sent to the
Academy of Music to tune the stage SD10 and the Baldwin R in Ormandy's
dressing room. The stage was to be at 440, but Ormandy wanted a "high 441"
in his dressing room.

Conrad Hoffsommer
then used against you.