Cracked Bridge-New Baldwin Console-Need Advice

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 21:51:16 -0600

> Dear Friends,
> A customer has a 5 year old Baldwin console with a crack about 12 inches
> long in the treble bridge, big enough to stick a business card in.

Edge on, or sideways? (sorry)  Where in the bridge?

>The piano sounds like hitting a marimba with a timpani stick.  The owner
> wants to replace it.

It? The bridge, or the piano? Then there's the pesky little
problem of factoring the soundboard into the equation. Have
you taken crown and bearing measurements?

>I'm new at this and don't do shopwork- and I
> understand that none of you can diagnose a pian on line- but do you
> think I could somehow get some CA between the strings, into the crack,
> and drill a hole through the bridge/soundboard and put in a nut and
> bolt?  I thought, if it's going to be replaced, I might as well learn
> something.
>
> (It was seen by a friend of mine who does extensive rebuilding and
> proclaimed the PSO to be DOA)

That still may be the case. If the fix exceeds the value, the
owner and keeper of the checkbook makes the call.

> Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.  Thanks,
> Greg Livingston

Pending,
Ron N