Soundboard Resonces and the Wogram Article

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:08:32 -0800

At 07:57 PM 2/4/2006, you wrote:
>Recordings can be deceiving and I don't like to rely on them for a
>true picture of a piano's tone.  I've heard some beautiful
>recordings on Yamahas that were very un Yamaha like in their overall
>impression.  Recording has gotten so sophisticated lately in terms
>of the ability to manipulate tone so I'm generally reluctant to draw
>any conclusions that way.

It's been like that for well over thirty years, and is very trackable
when listening to recordings spanning the period.  Abram Chasins
wrote about the problem as early as 1957.

To get any faint idea of what instruments actually sound/sounded like
in real performance venues, you have to go back to the air-tapes that
were made in the mid-1950s.  A few of these have been released on CD
in relatively unadulterated form.  One that is often readily
available is the Horrorwitz "return" concert to Carnegie
Hall.  Anything done after ~ 1960 starts to get into multi-track
using different microphone types and various kinds of electronic
"enhancements".

Horace