NEWS FLASH! "Conover clobbers Steinway !"

Steve Fujan sjfujan@gmail.com
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 21:13:23 -0600

Ric,

I doubt Wogram is referring to the speed of sound within the mass of the
soundboard when  talking about "vibrating area" and "radiation efficiency".
Isn't the sound we hear primarily a result of the diaphragmatic motion of
the soundboard disturbing the air?

Imagine a square soundboard with the grain running parallel to two of the
sides.  If the soundboard bends easier across the grain than parallel to th=
grain, then the shape of the fundamental diaphragmatic deflection will be
more rectangular than square.

Then if you add stiffeners perpendicular to the grain to equalize the
stiffness, the shape of the deflection will be more square, and the
"effective vibrating area" will be maximized.

Respectfully,
Steve Fujan