Soundboard Resonces and the Wogram Article

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:03:50 EST

David
  I hear what your saying & I agree.  I'm not sure this  answers any of your
2 question directly but  I just listened to a CD of Ron  Overs piano.  A
71/2  ft played by Scott Thile.   Scott is a very talented player but the other
real talent is in  Ron & his  piano.  I have listened to many good to horrible
piano  recordings & most probably Steinway Ds so I have a good feel for this
sort  of thing. At first I though it wasa really good D but then as I listened
closely I realized how purely powerful & clear the tone was.   Especially the
top four  treble octaves.  The whole piano was good but  Rachmaninoff really
showcases the trebles & they shined.
    Pure tonal power.  Oh...My  ...Gosh.  The  Rachmaninoff  was gorgeous but
the pianist had a lot to work with. Quite a  good recording & the sound was
what I personally have always hoped for  intuitively. The recording subdued the
bass a bit but still the whole piano was  a dream.
  A preferable sound?  Oh yeah Baby!!
   Dale Erwin

My  experience so far is that the RC&S boards with cutoff and fish etc.,  are
better, but different.  By better, I mean more predictable, better  success
rate, fewer quirky things like killer octaves, dead trebles,  unsmooth
transitions, thuddy low basses, distortions in the tenor,  strange
resonances, dead spots.  There are some qualities that change  and my attempt
in all this is to understand why and whether those other  intangibles are
also controllable.

David  Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net