tuning environment

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:49:48 -0500

MessageHi Alan,
The Acrosonic I tuned yesterday had a few extra beats hear and there. ;) =
 A volunteer at the nursing home said the piano sounded louder when I =
was finished.  That made me feel good for sure.
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:32 PM
  Subject: Re: tuning environment

  Eh? What's that yer sayin' Sonny? Speak up, will ya!

  The sound is there and you are hearing it. The ear training is =
learning to discriminate it from all other sounds. This may sound stupid =
and I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but it almost seems like =
I sort of feel the beats as much as hear them, sometimes.=20

  Depending on how large and well scaled that Yamaha is, your slow =
intervals may beat slower than on most pianos you tune. Grab a little =
spinet, tune a center octave and place fourths and fifths within it: =
they'll beat. Also, you also have to train yourself to ignore the 6:4 =
beat in the fifth and it can be quite prominent on some pianos, =
distractingly so.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

    ----- Original Message -----=20