Weighty tools

pianotune05@comcast.net pianotune05@comcast.net
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 00:39:21 +0000

HI Tim,
What type of tool kit do you use? Is it one of the ones offered by Schaff or Pianotec or tek whatever. ;)  I use a breifcase now as I'm getting started in this, but it's already getting way too small.  I went to Lowes to look at tool kits, but they all open like a breif case or just have one compartment.  I need something to keep things organized in.
Marshall

From: Thomas Cole <tcole@cruzio.com>
Debbie,

My kit weighs in the neighborhood of 50 lbs and I don't see it losing weight soon. My case caries my 5 lb laptop and all tuning and frequently used voicing, regulating and repairing tools. I'm reluctant to make a trip out to the car to get a commonly used regulating tool, for example.  Also, I never could justify adding to the bill just because I'm making a second trip to the car. So I sometimes find myself not making the adjustment if the tool, or a good substitute, is not at hand. Thus I opt for the boy scout approach.

I look at it this way: I can pay to become a member of a health club or I can save the cash and carry a 50 lb tool kit. It helps that the case has wheels and a telescoping handle for the long-haul university jobs.

Tom Cole

pianolady50@peoplepc.com wrote:

Here goes,

A general survey of the list.  Over the years, have you found that your *primary* tuning kit goes from carrying as much as you can fit and then swings to carrying as little as possible (getting too heavy)?  How often does the pendulum swing back and forth if you find this to be true?  And...how much does the kit you carry now weigh?

I have found I go through a swing approximately every three years.  Presently, my primary tuning kit weighs 14 lbs.(loaded).  I don't like to run out to my truck for stuff if I can help it, yet I'm trying to keep things to a minimum.  I have room for more stuff in the case but I refuse to let it get any heavier.  I also started keeping a *mini*, tuning only kit in the truck at all times.  So if I'm visiting relatives, friends, or whenever, I can always tune.  This kit weighs less than 2 lbs.

Just curious,
Debbie L.