piano moving technique

PIANISSIMO PIANOFORTE S.L. patrick@pianospianissimo.com
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:35:47 +0100 (CET)

(EXACTLY!)

> Please explain why. Understand, I'm not taking a position on this at all -

(THERE ARE MANY REASONS, which will be much easier to see when you
actually move a piano)

> I've never moved a piano and I've simply never seen a skid used.
>
>> How would they get it up stairs.

(probably DAMAGING the piano or their backs if they try "carrying"
something bigger than a baby grand!)

> Not many stairs here is flat Florida.
(A COUPLE OF STEPS (OR EVEN 1 BIG ONE) ARE ENOUGH, AND STAGE PLATFORMS,
ETC ETC)

>Does a skid have handles on it for carrying?

(GOOD ONES DO, SEE PIC, HANDY FOR EASY AND CONTROLLED PULLING OF THE
PIANO, ON STAIRS...)

>> Do they tie the piano into the truck still on the dolly?

> Yes.

(AND WHAT IF THE VAN/TRUCK HASNT GOT A TAIL LIFT?)

>> As others have said moving around the building as they do is OK as long
>> as
>> the dolly is padded...but:
>>
>> You're the boss now...time to make some changes.

Cant be that professional if they havent realised the NEED for a skid when
moving grands!

Patrick

Patrick Hinves Ballesta
Afinador/Técnico 610442371