squeeky damper springs

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:20:19 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2006 9:24:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
piano57@insightbb.com writes:

Hey folks,

I serviced this Kawai UST-7 (built in 1983)  before Christmas.  At the time,
the bolts had already been installed by  someone else to hold the damper pedal
down, and I tightened the screws for the  (right side) damper trap lever
assembly to keep it from blasting off.   Miracle cure!  Ah, but there was still
noise, I treated the damper spring  felts with Protek--which seemed to take care
of the squeaks.  I was  hoping that would be the other miracle cure.

I went back to take a picture of the pedal  assembly, which is a little
different.  The damper pedal pulls down two  levers--one to the right, tenor &
treble, and one to the left, the  bass.   Could it be this set-up that makes the
pedal feel  somewhat stiff?  It would make sense, since two trap lever springs
are  being pushed down.  I didn't notice a stiff damper spring feel in  the
action itself (after I lubed the spring felt).

When I went back to take the picture  last week, I noticed that the squeaking
is back.  I'll admit it, I  was in a hurry and didn't take a close look at
the felts.  I suppose  cleaning the damper springs and replacing the spring felt
is next.  Is  there a different (faster) solution--like some miracle
lubricant I haven't  heard of that came on the market while I was on leave?

Thanks.

Barbara  Richmond

Barbara,

I deal with lots of Kawai uprights.  They seem to develop squeaky  damper
lever springs, spoon-felt interface, and pedals after awhile?  I've  begun using
teflon powder on all contact points.  A hobby brush works  well to get it in
the groove (is this also called a grub??) and on the springs,  and I've taken
to using the tapered end of a felt mute to get between the spoon  and the end
of the lever so I can apply it to the felt.

The other day I had a "click" when the sustain was depressed that it took  me
awhile to figure out.  Turns out, the action bracket wasn't wedged  tightly
enough into the nose-bolt, and was moving when the damper assembly was  hoisted
by the pedal.

Ya never know....

Dave Stahl
Dave Stahl Piano Service