squeeky damper springs

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:41:35 -0800

I agree with David.   Very heavy pedal action.  The bolts through the b=
ottom board is a good repair though, could be shorter...;-]
I'd love to hear if Don Mannino knows why Kawai did this?   What was th=
e thinking behind it...is this continued in newer Kawais?
David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Porritt, David"
To: "Pianotech List"
Subject: RE: squeeky damper springs

Barbara:

First, I really dislike this pedal setup that Kawai used =96 I think it=
=92s in some Boston=92s too.  There are LOTS of places to squeak.  In a=
ddition to the overly complex mechanism you show in this picture, there=
 are the usual lifter-rod-on-the-damper-lever-felts, the lifter rod bus=
hings etc.  If the metal is corroded no lubricant that I=92m familiar w=
ith will help.  Polishing all those friction points and then lubricatin=
g is the only thing that will help.  The metal that shows in the pictur=
e appears corroded so I=92d guess that the lifter rod and flanges could=
 well be corroded as well.

Good luck!

dp

David M. Porritt