Upgrading thoughts...

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:23:39 -0500

    Wim, as an auto mechanic in a former life, our industry went through =
the same thing a number of years ago.  The ASE, or Automotive institute =
for Service Excellence was started to certify technicians much as we are =
looking to do.  The differences are:
1.  ASE began with the backing of auto manufacturers, parts makers, car =
dealer and the mechanics themselves  i.e., lots of industry support.
2.  Nearly every consumer drove a car and nearly everyone had a bad =
experience at one time or another, creating a general need for testing =
and certification.   =20
3.  A nationwide advertising campaign was implemented which made every =
mechanic WANT to become certified.  It became a badge of honor that the =
public recognized and still do.
    Let's compare...
1.  We are a comparatively very small group of tradespeople who have =
little standing with the general public and few  financial resources.
2.  Not everyone owns a piano much less takes care of it as they should, =
so as a result, our market is limited. =20
3.  Advertising costs money, and it would take an enormous effort to =
convince the public that they should use only registered piano =
technicians, and to convince technicians themselves that they should be =
a part of this process.  Cost vs. Benefit ? =20

    My point is, that as noble and worthwhile as the certification =
effort is, it will only go so far, and only be marginally effective =
because of these inherent obstacles.  The best incentive for an =
associate to become an RPT is still and will remain, self-improvement.  =
We can make lots of proposals, rule changing and  wheel spinning, but =
there may be no definitive answer to this problem. =20
    Mike Kurta =20