Soundboard recrowning and rib re-arching.

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Aug 19 12:40:15 MDT 2006

Thumpy writes:

    Yeah yeah Ok sure. But none of this changes the fact
    that if you stressed the board into an exaggerated
    crown, then permeated the ribs ( and board, maybe )
    with something that rersists compression, you ought to
    end up with better crown when you "knock the chocks
    out".

No argument on that point.

    P.S. Still, that rib matter has to go somewhere when
    the board loses crown. Either the rib is compressed
    longitudinally, over the decades, shrinks, or the rim
    expands. Probably a combination of all three. This is
    simpleton stuff.

You might at best experience a little end grain crushing from any
constraint from the rim.  And we are talking reallllly small amounts. As
far as being compressed in the face of the soundboard panel itself going
flat... well I'm open for any data you might have, but the relative
stress levels the rib and panel can handle would kinda indicate to me
that you are probably in error.  Not to worry tho... that same argument
is used to tell me that I am entirely wrong about ribs supporting crown
in a CC board to begin with.

Back to your point about rim expanding or rib compressing... you ever
try that experiment Nossaman sketched a couple years back ... the one
about checking out the buttressed arch concept ?  I found that rather
enlightening myself.

Cheers
RicB