Aaaargh was and partly still is Piano History question

James H Frazee jimfrazee at msn.com
Sun Aug 6 06:20:39 MDT 2006

 I wonder if piano majors are taught anything about piano maintenance and care...

Alas, very few, if any, know or are taught the slightest bit about their instrument.  I was a performance major at Indiana and have studied in Juilliard's Night Division so I know neither of them even offer anything.  But read what Alfred Brendel says in his book, Alfred Brendel on Music: Collected Essays.  His point, though stated far more eloquently, is that pianists should become better technicians AND that technicians should become better pianists.  Ergo, a bridge to better communication, to better performances and to better music.  Amen.

Jim Frazee
914.763.8689
jimfrazee at msn.com<mailto:jimfrazee at msn.com>