Pros & Cons

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Sat Apr 29 13:07:23 MDT 2006

Hello Joe,
I am aware that Schimmel used a white felt front rail punching in the
1990s.  I'm not sure who manufactured that felt.   Perhaps you have
some information on that.  Otherwise,  you may be  jumping to
conclusions to assume that any firm, white 6 mm thick felt is made by
Wurzen or is indeed the Crescendo felt.

The Crescendo Punching felt has only been available for a few years.
Since then, there have been some changes made to the formulation of the
felt to yet improve on the quality and resilience.
I am no expert on felt - felt making is a world unto itself.  But I
have been studying the subject and am gaining some insights into the
complexity and diversity of felt production.  Contrary to what you
write, the Crescendo felt is not "hard/firm pressed".  Rather, it gets
its density through a proprietary method of "fulling"  which involves
agitation of the felt fleeces while using special lubricants to attain
a deep interlocking of the wool fibers.  This way, you get a firm felt
with a lot of natural resilience of the wool fiber.

This is what sets this special felt apart from other felts, which use
heat and pressure and sometimes steam to attain density and firmness.
A by-product of that process is hardness.  Resilience is lost, for the
most part.  This leads to a knocking sound when used is an application
such as a front rail punching.

I am constantly getting feedback from technicians who are amazed that
Crescendo punchings can give such a defined key dip and aftertouch yet
still cut back on key noise.  Just today I heard about about an
accomplished player who perceived the touch as "softer" after the old,
mushy punchings had been replaced by Crescendos.  Perception is in the
fingers/ears of the pianist, of course, so who is to argue?

  I suggest replacing the original Schimmel front rail punchings with
Crescendos and try them out.
  Just my biased view  <G>

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com
----------------------------
Joe wrote:
snip...
They are Wurzen, hard/firm pressed felt...just like the Crescendo ones
I got from Jurgen a while back! And here I thought this was a NEW
thingee!
snip...
The main complaint, (once I pinned her down), was that the Schimmel
FEELS too "Mechanical"! And she can hear the key hitting the bottom
while she is playing! These two things REALLY bug her.
snip