Damp-Chaser in Texas

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 18:12:23 MDT 2006

Hi John,

It depends where the piano lives. It is my good fortune to be in a climate
where I have measured 6% R.H. using a psychrodyne and a high of 84%.

I have data on one Steinway B that has a DC system on it. It was left
unplugged during March for "a couple of days". I needed to tune it for a
concert--and had gone by to make sure things were working well. It was a
"pre bottom cover" installation. The pitch rose 14 cents at A4 in 12 hours.
Unfortunately I did not think to measure the first plain steel wire.

I do not consider over one cent of drift per hour a slow change especially
not when it may often be double (or more) than that at the first plain
steel wire.

I rest my case. Keep it plugged in 24/7, and make it hard for the end user
to abuse the system and the piano.

At 04:01 PM 4/27/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>OK, that would certainly be nice, but is it really necessary?
>
>I don't know the answer from my lack of personal observation, but if changes
>happen more slowly rather than quickly, why the need for a system with
>something like a uninterruptible power supply?
>
>John Formsma

Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner