Damp-Chaser in Texas

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Thu Apr 27 14:35:09 MDT 2006

Avery,

Are you talking about the time that it's unplugged out on stage?

If so, I called Dampp Chaser with similar concerns. They said it takes at
least 24 hours from having the system unplugged for there to be a noticeable
change in tuning. So I'm not concerned anymore about leaving this concert D
unplugged for a few hours. Unless you're going to an environment with huge
variances from 42%, the piano wouldn't change quickly anyway, would it? Say,
from a system-controlled 42% to 60% room RH would take well more than a few
hours to cause a change, right?

BTW, this new D got a DC system installed within a week of delivery (January
'06), and is doing a great job of keeping the piano stable. I tuned it
today, in fact, and it was within 1-3 cents, with a change from 29% RH (on
2/21/06) to 43% today. It has an undercover to hide all the system stuff,
and a larger fill tube clamp to hold the cord up out of sight during stage
use.

John Formsma