Dealing with bridge damage.

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 19:05:17 MDT 2006

Andrew writes:

<<  I guess a regular high bond wood glue will
do the job of bonding in the new wood and a file and razor to level
everything again without having to de-string everything and pull all
the bridge pins for a plane. >>

Greetings,
     It is worth remembering that everything between the string and the ear
affects the sound.  Every joint, glue line, and additional pieces between the
string and the soundboard will have an effect.  When energy is required to move
through different substances, it always loses something, so the most direct
route is the most efficient.  The less things there are to absorb energy in
this train, the better.   A soft glue, like Sobo, or PVC-E, would be a terrible
thing to glue a bridge down with, and it will even show a difference if it is
used to glue hammers on.
    Some damping is required in this entrainment, otherwise, I think we would
be seeing metal bridges and soundboards. They have been tried, but as far as
I know, nothing works like wood.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT