Voicing

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 09:30:07 MDT 2006

Replacing partial sets IMO  is pretty much a no win  situation.
  Dale

Good  Morning.

I am interested in your favorite technique to make hammers  sound louder an
brighter.  Here's the story.

A client was given  an old baby grand.  Given that it had been kept out in a
hot barn for  years it was in surprising good condition, both casing, action
and  strings.  On the upper two octaves, though, the hammers had worn  through
to the wood, so we replaced them.  The owner didn't have the  cash to replace
all hammers on the piano, so they opted to just replace the  worn through
upper treble.  The action has been adjusted and the  hammers aligned with the
strings, but the new ones don't sound nearly as  bright or as loud as the
remaing ones.  I understand that this is to  be expected.  The owner likes
the gritty rock n roll tone that the  remaining old hammers has, and wants me
to adjust the new ones to match as  closely as possible.  The current
different is pronounced.

Your  suggestions?

Arlin