Bridge Pins & Nega Bearing, was Re: Why do we need crown?

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Apr 24 01:01:04 MDT 2006

I beg to differ.  It is not uncommon at all to find unseated strings in
uprights and grands and the reasons for this situation tho subject to a
lot of speculation and casual number pushing is hardly charted clearly.
It goes without saying that there is a stronger tendancy for strings to
pull away from a negative crown / negative bearing situation then
positive/positive due to the very nature of the upwards forces involved.
The impact of the initial pulse on the bridge, string leverage moments
on and around the bridge, climatic factors and a probably a good deal of
other factors are all part of the picture. That strings unseat from the
bridge is a simple fact that is observable.  Conditions that this can
occur under are drafted in the article I wrote for last Junes Journal.
Anyone who wishes can objectively confirm that all these can and do
occur by open minded experimentation.

Cheers
RicB

 > Positive bearing strings will stay seated just as well with positive
 > crown as with negative crown. It's negative bearing strings which won't
 > stay seated and which apply their force to destroy the pinning. That's
 > regardless of positive or negative crown.

It would take a tremendous negative bearing to pull a string
up off of a bridge against the slanted pins and offset angle,
unless pin slant was only very slight. Otherwise, strings
don't un-seat from bridges.

Ron N