Why do we need crown?

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 20:52:19 MDT 2006

Ron writes:

<< And I was, of course, talking about something designed and

built for zero bearing and zero crown throughout, not

something that was designed for positive bearing and crown and

badly built. >>

  Greetings,
     My parents' piano is a 1870 Hallet & Davis. It is not veneered, but
rather made with solid maple body parts.  The soundboard is completely flat,and
was designed that way. The bridge has agraffes that have steeply slanted holes
in them, and they alternate so that the back strings are either rising from
them to meet the hitch pins, or slanting just as steeply down to the hitch.  The
effect of the alternating bearing is to rigidly lock the board in place.  This
piano has a boomy bass and a weak treble.
     I tried all sorts of things, but there was no way to get an even
response out of this board.  I have some rather serious misgivings about flat
soundboards.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT