Bridge Pins & Nega Bearing

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 20:43:22 MDT 2006

Hi Bill

Then  some tremendous force must be at work, because strings which
have  crept upwards against slanted pins and side-bearing are a
regular  part of our day.
  Then this fact would make the whole Wapin bridge idea   untenable as the
front pin goes ... straight up toward the ceiling so how far  can the string
climb a straight pin?  any body work with wapin &  document this phenomenon? If
true down bearing exsists at the front bridge pin  then what I find more
commonly is wire bends that need straightening rather than  tapping strings down on
the bridge. If true down bearing really exsists at the  front bridge pin
applying some 3 to 4 lbs of down pressure per string at this  point, how does a
string climb angled pins? I don't think they do.  JMO

And  that's outside such at-risk conditions
as a rolled bridge with  negative bearing at the front and positive at
the back.

But  the strings wouldn't have to be pulled up off a bridge for
negative  bearing to damage the pinning. An earlier comment of mine
about  "having to toss out bridge pins as a coupling mechanism" in the
negative bearing scenario didn't seem to raise any  comments.
  We were napping after Church...it's Sunday.  I can't  think of an negative
bearing situation I'd wish to execute & don't know of  one ever commercially
built.
   Regards
    Dale

Mr Bill