Bridge Pins & Nega Bearing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 23 18:33:38 MDT 2006

> Then some tremendous force must be at work, because strings which have
> crept upwards against slanted pins and side-bearing are a regular part
> of our day.

No, they aren't. This has been discussed on list extensively -
over and over and over. Check the archives.

>And that's outside such at-risk conditions as a rolled
> bridge with negative bearing at the front and positive at the back.

A rolled bridge is a failed soundboard. Again, check the archives.

> But the strings wouldn't have to be pulled up off a bridge for negative
> bearing to damage the pinning.

I can hardly wait to read about how negative bearing damages
bridge pins, and the consequences of such damage.

>An earlier comment of mine about "having
> to toss out bridge pins as a coupling mechanism" in the negative bearing
> scenario didn't seem to raise any comments.

Probably because the subject has been discussed far past the
point that everyone's thoroughly sick of it. At the end of the
last of what seems like fifty rounds, the string seating crowd
swarmed out into the world en mass yelling KILL KILL with fire
in their eyes and feeler gages in hand to prove that strings
spontaneously climb up bridge pins against all known physics.
The avalanche of reports of rampant bridge pin climbing
strings still is yet to manifest, but we collectively remain
ever faithful to the notion. With few exceptions.

Ron N