Why do we need crown?

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 14:02:41 MDT 2006

Hi RIc
   Not so  with the reverse crowned board.  I have  worked on my share of
intentional reverse crowners & although the board  is under a positive
downbearing load the pins do not have any more trouble  staying seated than the
conventional system. The board is under tension but in  my expereince with less
adverse affects than the boards built ....the other  way
  The whole issue of crown is that is needed or certainly desirable to
create varying amounts of impedance by compressing the soundboard, which is a
spring  thereby making it more reactive to vibration & thus move more  air,sound
etc. but we've certainly covered this before.  right?
  Dale

Hi  Don.

Then too... in the grand it seems like we have trouble  enough as it is
keeping strings seated to the bridge. Downbearing  or no... with the
panel countercurved as it were it would seem to me that  the strings
would find it even easier to become  unseated.

Cheers
RicB