Why do we need crown?

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 23 10:14:46 MDT 2006

Hi Calin,

Even with zero or negative down bearing the side bearing far outweighs
downbearing as far as keeping the string in place. At least one major
manufacturer makes their pianos with nearly zero down bearing, and not much
crown.

Any chance of a sound clip to go with your photos of that Steingraeber?

Here is their website:

http://www.steingraeber.de/

Unfortunately the only bridge picture has the traditional offset pins.

At 05:55 PM 4/23/2006 +0200, you wrote:

>Well, I guess we could dispense with bearing on the bridge, but then
>bridgepins might not be an appropriate termination any more, abd we would
>need some sort of metal clamp - like Stuart's bridge agraffe.
>
>But then I guess the problems you identify with his piano are not because of
>the bridge agraffe, but because his soundboard seems to be rather floppy and
>perhaps too big. Right?
>
>By the way, Stuart is no longer the only manufacturer who makes pianos with
>bridge agraffes. I have seen the Steingraeber with bridge agraffes a week
>ago and must say it was a most impressive piano. I'll try to gather some of
>my pictures and make them available online soon on my website.
>
>Calin Tantareanu

Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner