Why do we need crown?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 23 10:15:58 MDT 2006

> Well, I guess we could dispense with bearing on the bridge, but then
> bridgepins might not be an appropriate termination any more, abd we would
> need some sort of metal clamp - like Stuart's bridge agraffe.

Bridge pins would still work quite nicely. They are the
termination at the bridge whether there is bearing or not.
Agraffes wouldn't be significantly better as a termination,
but they would add mass, which would likely be beneficial,
perhaps even necessary.

> But then I guess the problems you identify with his piano are not because of
> the bridge agraffe, but because his soundboard seems to be rather floppy and
> perhaps too big. Right?

Right. I like bridge agraffes.

> By the way, Stuart is no longer the only manufacturer who makes pianos with
> bridge agraffes. I have seen the Steingraeber with bridge agraffes a week
> ago and must say it was a most impressive piano. I'll try to gather some of
> my pictures and make them available online soon on my website.
>
> Calin Tantareanu

Great, thanks. I'd like a look at them.
Ron N