Why do we need crown?

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Apr 23 08:14:30 MDT 2006

Hi Don.

Correctomundo. I'm just not sure its a good thing.  With positive crown,
downbearing increases the stiffness of the board.  I'm assuming (tho I
could be wrong) that with negative crown this would be reversed.
Perhaps not what we want to achieve ?

Then too... in the grand it seems like we have trouble enough as it is
keeping strings seated to the bridge. Downbearing or no... with the
panel countercurved as it were it would seem to me that the strings
would find it even easier to become unseated.

Cheers
RicB

Don Rose writes:

Hi Ric,

If the bridge were sufficiently high reverse crown and downbearing may both
exist at the same time.

 >Hi Calin
 >
 >Crown perhaps facilitates these needs to some degree tho.  We know we can
get a <<free>> increase in stiffness for same amount of mass with crown and
subsequent downbearing for example.

 >Reverse crown would probably mean  using some other bridge termination
device then bridge pins... at least in the grand.  I would also think that
downbearing in such a situation would be a negative.

 >Cheers
 >RicB

Regards,