Bøsendorfers, was : Buttressed Arch. Question for Ron N.

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Apr 18 14:51:01 MDT 2006

Someone mentioned Bosies in the last bit of the discussion.  It would be
nice to hear a short followup from ya'll on how these evident exceptions
to the rule with their comparitively soft rims seem to yield such nice
results.

Seems like there are more ways then one to approach the rim impedance
question.

Cheers
RicB
--------------------
 > Now, the impedance under consideration is the ability to resist
energy from
 > the board into the rim where it's dissipated, if I'm getting it. So, more
 > mass = more impedance = more sustain, huh?

Impedance is a combination of mass and stiffness. In the
soundboard, the optimal proportion is frequency dependent. In
the rim, whatever it takes to minimize energy transfer is what
you want. Stiffness is important, but I've come to suspect
that mass is the major player once a minimum threshold
stiffness is met. If rim impedance is high enough that it's
not unnecessarily absorbing soundboard energy, sustain will be
longer than in assemblies where the rim is unnecessarily
absorbing soundboard energy. This one's graded on the curve.