Pleyel F3 bis hammers specs

PIANISSIMO PIANOFORTE S.L. patrick at pianospianissimo.com
Tue Apr 18 09:33:54 MDT 2006

Stéphane,

Those type of grand piano usually have non-standard hammers (ie, the
shanks are like the ones used in uprights, so it doesn't go all the way
trough the hammer tail) some of these Pleyels also have the continuous
centre pin system...

Anyway, what i find works best is sending them to get recovered with new
felt, keeeping the old wood. There is a very very good place that
specializes in that sort of job for old Pleyel's, in France. His name is
Patrick Desfourgeres (not sure if i spelt it right). We sent him a set for
a 1890 Pleyel last summer and he did a FANTASTIC job. I can get his
phonenumber if you are interested.

There is usually no underfelt, at least on the ones i've seen.

Hope it helps. Regards,

Patrick

> Hello dear list.
>
> Does anyone know the original hammers specs for a Pleyel 3 bis piano (164
> cm
> about 1900) ?  I would need to know the wood sort of the cores, the
> dimensions of bass and trebble felt shapes, the weight of the hammers and
> if
> there was underfelt (if yes how many layers of what stuff), in order to be
> able to have copies made.  Bore distance welcome, but I suppose I can
> calculate that from the piano.  Of great value would also be the
> originally
> intended strike distance.
> I encountered a few of this amazing little piano (all great instruments),
> but those I worked on had the same problem : the hammers were rubbing
> against the backchecks (I mean the felt of the hammer knocking on the top
> of
> the backcheck when coming in rest position).  Of course, increasing hammer
> height would resolve the problem, but then the strike distance becomes way
> out of what I'm used to consider standard (45 - 47 mm).  Changing the
> backcheck angle could work, but you'd get a hard landing of the hammer
> tail
> on the backcheck leather, making noise and accelerating the wear process.
> Some other tech before chose brutaly to cut a wedge of felt out of each
> hammer.  I don't know why, I prefer thinking that the hammers specs are
> out
> of the ballpark.  That is why I'm asking.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Stéphane Collin

Patrick Hinves Ballesta
Afinador/Técnico 610442371