Key Excursion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Apr 17 18:07:00 MDT 2006

Interesting that you should bring this up as I have a customer recently who
claims that his 9' piano has too much inclination and wants it altered.  It
has made me begin to think about what the optimum inclination might be.  It
will vary from piano to piano and with key length, of course.  The piano
itself will limit the kinds of changes one can make.  For example, by the
height of the fall board when in the up position, the thickness of the
keyframe at both the back and the front, convergence limits, height of the
wippen cushion over the key/capstan position, damper timing consideration,
etc.. It seems like the key certainly has to start with an upward
inclination.  Whether it travels through level and finishes with a downward
inclination or finishes at level and then to what degree seems to be the
question.  Wish I had an answer as I will be having to try and figure out
just what the best solution is for this person fairly soon.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net