need information about two pianos

FRANCES HELMS fhelms at topeka.k12.ks.us
Mon Apr 17 11:26:10 MDT 2006

Please help me with dates of the following pianos:

       Yamaha U10A, serial # 4976005   My Pierce Atlas is in need of
replacement -old edition, and falling into ruin.

       Baldwin Hamilton small grand - serial #140348.

Also if you can suggest a possible ball- park selling price it would be
very helpful.  Just e-mail me directly if that is preferable.  My e-mail
address:  fhelms at topeka.k12.ks.us

The Yamaha is in pristine condition.  Looks like it just came from the
showroom.

The Baldwin has been well-maintained, but has some dings and scratches
in the finish.  It would also benefit from CA treatment, in lieu of a
complete rebuild, but the torque on most pins isn't too bad.  The action
has been recently regulated and the hammers resurfaced and voiced.

I'm aware that appraisal sight-unseen is not realistic, but let me
relate the circumstances.

I have been maintaining the Baldwin for several years for a small
church in a remote area.  The Yamaha was recently donated and has been
tuned twice.  The church has tried very hard to maintain even
temperature and humidity for these instruments (a rare thing in my
experience).

The church building is being sold, and the congregation is temporarily
going to hold services in member homes.  The pianos will be sold if
possible.

The trustees have requested that I help them establish a fair price.

I am badly out of the loop, having spent the last several months caring
for my mother, who has now passed away.  And truly, am not up on current
prices.

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fran Helms,
Piano technician (not, unfortunately PTG)
Topeka, KS