Buttressed Arch. Question for Ron N.

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Apr 15 15:48:33 MDT 2006

Ron

>and  is there any advantage to trying to make that rim
> immoveable,

Absolutely. I routinely add bracing to the straight side, and
particularly to the belly rail (mass too, here).
  Meaning a brace coming off the brace closet to the  spine.  I like this

It  doesn't do
the slightest thing for crown, but it raises the impedance of
the rim and belly rail so it absorbs less of the soundboard's
energy,  improving tone and sustain.
  So a heavier wood would be a better choice than say  spruce.  If I recall
it was Overs who was laminating his belly beams with  hard wood. Cool stuff.
Fire up the saw.

 Dale

Ron N