Gram weighing of parts

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sat Apr 15 05:34:02 MDT 2006

Hi Joe,

When one studies piano friction weights (D-U)/2  they find that, with
uniform flange frictions, on average the friction weight drops by about 4g
from bass to treble.   This of course is due to the fact that hammers are
heavier in the bass and push the parts together with more force causing
more friction in the bass end.

Many of us sort friction with high in the bass and low in the treble and
this exaggerates this natural tapering of friction even more.  So what
you've done is to make friction weight even less tapered than normal by
putting the lower friction hammer flanges in the bass.

One finds that a change of one gram of rotational friction measured at a
32mm radius on the hammer flange a gram will create a difference in the
friction weight of about one gram which means a change of 1g in both down
and up weight.

So if your sort yields say one gram rotational in the bass to say 5 grams
in the treble then your offsetting the natural decrease of friction bass to
treble of 4g with an increase bass to treble of 4g giving a more or less
uniform friction weight bass to treble so if the down weights are weighed
off to be a uniform level bass to treble the up weights will be uniform as
well.

If, in this case, you sorted with high friction in the bass to low in the
treble the up weights in the bass would be much much slower than in the
treble, with a uniform down weight.

If your going to sort by friction I think it makes more sense doing what
you've done because it creates a more consistent friction weight bass to
treble which in turn creates the possibility to weigh off to a more
consistent down weight and up weight bass to treble.  I'm sure that many
pianists would notice and like that kind of set up.

I actually prefer, in the case of shanks, to sort by shank strike weight
then working the flange frictions to be as uniform as can be from bass to
treble, with special attention given to key bushing friction
control.  Friction comes and goes but weight is pretty constant by
comparison...

Whew!

David Stanwood