Steinway Bass Hammer Angle

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sun Apr 9 18:04:00 MDT 2006

Hello, Listees!  I have a question that I want to ask about the boring angles on Steinway grands.  I have a 1904 short A that does not have the original hammers on it, and the ones that are there have barely any angle (Maybe 2 or 3 Degrees).  The strings are at a 15 degree angle to the stretcher.
    I looked up Newton Hunt's posting of published hammer boring specs in the archives, and the only bass hammer angles for S&S that I saw were 5.5 degrees for an L and B, I think.  I bored a couple samples at 8, 9, and 1 at 10 degrees, and concluded that 8 would work.
    Any thoughts on this?  I looked at a Baldwin R, next to it, and they looked to be about 10.  What do you all use?
Clark A. Sprague, RPT
csprague4 at woh.rr.com