Soundboard wood

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Wed Apr 12 05:54:45 MDT 2006

Early on in my career as a piano technician, I was fortunate enough to
*have* to dismantle and dispose of a couple old uprights.  Yes, spare weird
parts were saved and some of the case parts were recylced into gorgeous
furniture.  The cast iron plates were smashed and sold as scrap iron (not
worth the trip to the scrap yard!).  Each plate weighed only approx. 100
lbs. (Hardman and a Hallet & Davis).   The seeming huge weight of a piano is
cumulative, not carried in merely one part.

And...I said *fortunate* as it is an incredible learning experience to
dissemble, totally, to scrap a piano.

Debbie