Feedback or Controversy on Bach/Lehman's temperament ?

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Wed Apr 12 05:08:30 MDT 2006

Nice post Ed.

I don't have much feedback yet, but FYI, for a faculty piano recital last
night, I used Lehman's temperament on a harpsichord (Bach), Kirnberger on
a 1700's reproduction Fortepiano (Haydn), Young on an 1850(ish) Bosendorfer
Fortepiano and ET on a S & S 'D' (Berg). Whew! Quite a tuning session. :-)
Both Fortepianos were sharp enough that I had to go over them twice. All in
all, about 3-½ hrs. plus a preliminary tuning in the AM on the Bosendorfer
prior to a rehearsal.

I've also used the Lehman for a concert our harpsichord guy played at a major
hall downtown (all Bach). He also recently did an all Mozart faculty recital
a couple of weeks ago using the Kirnberger on the Maene Fortepiano.

Now if I could just some established on regular pianos. Maybe I should just do
what Ed did. Move a few to something like a Young and don't say anything about
it. Of course, in my position, it would be simple to retune if anyone
complained.

Avery Todd, RPT
University of Houston