1867 steinway concert grand with crow's feet

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 11 17:26:41 MDT 2006

Hi, Daniel.

I have an 1873 which has the rocker capstans. I discovered to my
considerable relief that you can adjust those capstans with a long thin
screwdriver inserted between the whippens, though I can't remember
exactly how. It might have been something like this: lift the shank one
key above the key whose capstan you're adjusting, pass the screwdriver
just above the rep lever you've just exposed, and insert the screwdriver
into the capstan screw, or some such cockamamey maneuver.  They might
even have been phillips-head screws. You definitely don't need the
right-angle screwdriver. Remember to loosen one screw before you tighten
the other, and be gentle on that old brittle wood.

-Mark