9 Foot Kimball

Robin Hufford hufford1 at airmail.net
Tue Apr 11 00:04:18 MDT 2006

     There were, in fact, two Chickerings in the main auditiorium, along with
the organ,   in Atlantic City, originally, as Thump indicates.  The organ here
is the largest in the world with over 33,000 pipes.  .    One piano was placed
in the wind chamber, out of view,  and was played  remotedly using  the organ
keyboard, by a system of relays, a reproducing mechanism and a large wiring
harness.  The other was the stage piano and was visible as such.
     Attached to the enormous hall there,  is also  a second facility which was
a ballroom, also huge and containing, again, another enormous organ, not as
large as the one in the main hall, but enormous nevertheless which also could
operate a piano.  .  I believe it is considered to be something of a
theater-type organ, although I don't understand these distinctions, and have
read it described as the largest, again, of its type.  .  This was built by WW
Kimball.  Similarly to the main organ it also had functionally attached to it a
concert grand which could be played from the keyboard.  .  This is the Kimball
concert grand.
Regards, Robin Hufford