Cargo to Go

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 10 10:43:48 MDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
Now come on Terry, aren't imagining those mileage numbers?...;-]

David Ilvedson, RPT

I figured someone would take me to task on that. But absolutely not. No imagination, no exaggeration.

Now yesterday was Sunday and traffic was very light. When traffic is not a consideration, the Prius can actually be quite a bit of fun to drive. When there is no traffic, there are a host of driving techniques that one can employ to dramatically increase fuel mileage (forcing the car to run off the battery, gliding, etc.). Driving to downtown yesterday, for my first 10 miles or so I had zero traffic and I could drive as silly as I wanted - I was averaging about 85 mpg until I ran into a bit of traffic that made my average plummet to 75 mpg!

We bought our Prius in mid January and with that first tank of gas, I have been recording our fuel purchases and mileage. Below is a spreadsheet of our data so far:

      Date
     Price
     Gallons
     Miles
     Computer MPG
     Actual MPG
     Cumulative Computer MPG
     Cumulative Actual MPG
     Total Miles
     Total Fuel Cost

      01/21/06
     2.349
     8.978
     434
     55.0
     48.3

     48.30
     434
     21.09

      02/04/06
     2.299
     8.269
     474
     55.8
     57.3
     55.80
     57.32
     908
     40.10

      02/17/06
     2.199
     9.408
     498
     57.1
     52.9
     56.45
     54.99
     1406
     60.79

      03/04/06
     2.259
     8.463
     460
     56.8
     54.4
     56.57
     54.78
     1866
     79.91

      03/14/06
     2.439
     9.167
     498
     56.6
     54.3
     56.58
     54.66
     2364
     102.26

      03/26/06
     2.509
     7.968
     439
     53.8
     55.1
     56.02
     54.74
     2803
     122.26

      04/09/06
     2.739
     7.415
     381
     55.4
     51.4
     55.92
     54.25
     3184
     142.57

As you can see, our cumulative mileage is 54.25 so far - and that includes a lot of rush-hour driving when traffic does not let you drive the way you might like.

Terry Farrell